The Actuarial Student supports the corporate actuarial team in diverse projects. They will also provide technical support to our team of actuarial professionals.
iA Financial Group is the fourth largest life and health insurance company in Canada and offers a wide range of products for all stages of life and to meet the needs of clients across its vast sales network. Founded in 1892, iA Financial Group’s stability and solidity make it an employer of choice that invests in its employees and their development over the long term.
With operations across Canada and in the United States, iA Financial Group and its over 5,000 employees work hard every day to offer the best service to over four million clients.
Purpose and Accountability
The position targets a student currently completing studies in a bachelor of science in actuarial science. The Actuarial Student supports the corporate actuarial team in diverse projects. They will also provide technical support to our team of actuarial professionals.
1. Involvement in month-end valuation (25%):
• Starting reserves runs
• Updating month-end spreadsheets for source of earning and gains and losses analysis
• Actuarial analysis as required
2. Special projects (50%):
• Profitability studies to determine trends as required
• IFRS 17 process conversion
3. Support of actuarial functions (25%):
• Design and complete surveys as required
• Assisting with various reports by assembling required information
• Assisting actuarial analysts in a support role as required
• Data requests for various members of the Actuarial team as required
• Currently in the process of obtaining a (tertiary) undergraduate degree preferably in actuarial science, mathematics, statistics, finance or risk management
• Manipulating large data sets (including SQL), and previous office experience would be preferred
• Knowledge of AXIS or R (GLMs, tidyverse) would be preferred
• Able to follow established procedures
• Exceptional attention to detail
• Working knowledge of Excel and other MS Office programs
• Ability to learn and work in a fast-paced environment
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; knowledge of French would be an asset
• Highly proficient with numbers